- Sole Practitioner
During a career marked with high-profile successes, Jeff has handled several thousand criminal cases, including over 100 jury trials, in both state and federal courts, and a number of homicide cases. He also has had the privilege of being one of a select group of lawyers to have argued before the California Supreme Court. Jeff has been granted the honor of being a Certified Specialist in Criminal Law by the California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. He is one of approximately 25 in Orange County and 350 in the entire State of California to hold such certification!
As testimony to the quality of his preparation and conduct of complex cases, Jeff's clients have included judges, politicians, private attorneys, public defenders, and law enforcement officers. He is also listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell with an AV rating (the highest given), Avvo.com with a 10.0 rating, and has been listed for numerous years in the Super Lawyers publication by Los Angeles Magazine.
Jeff is a member on the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, California Attorneys for Criminal Justice, and a co-founder of the North Orange County Bar Association. He has been admitted the California State Bar (#162237), the United States District Courts of the Central, Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of California, the United States Court of Appeal for the 9th Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court. Jeff has also represented clients in Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, New York, Oregon, Virginia, and Washington in their respective Federal District Courts.
A native of Southern California, Jeff is married and has both a son and a daughter.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Law, California Bar, Board of Legal Specialization, 2012
- California, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2009
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Western State University College of Law, Fullerton, California
- J.D. - 1992
- University of California, Irvine, California
- B.S. - 1989
- Larsen v. DMV, 12 Cal. 4th 278, 1995, CA Sup. Crt.
Honors and Awards
- AV Rated - Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell
- Avvo.com 10.0
- OC Metro Magazine - Top Attorneys in Orange County
- ASLA - Top 100 Criminal
- Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Member
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice (CACJ), Member
- California DUI Lawyers Association (CDLA), Member
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA), Member
- NOCBA, Secretary, Board Member, 2009 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Law Offices of McDonnell & Kent, Inc., Partner, 1995 to 2013
- Bridgman, Mordkin, Gould & Shapiro, Attorney, 1992 to 1995